Given that 99% of businesses in the EU are small and medium-sized (SMEs), their buy-in will therefore be indispensable to the EU’s climate ambitions. According to OECD data, SMEs contribute to 64% of industrial pollution in Europe, while 40-45% of SMEs are considered to have a large environmental impact.
The primary target audience of the Covenant of Companies is thus the EU business sector. The following entities are encouraged to make a commitment to decarbonise within the realm of the Covenant of Companies and receive our support services:
- SMEs as per the EU definition;
- Groups of companies, including SMEs and large companies, co-located in the same area (industry parks), or building;
The Covenant of Companies aims to help these entities by providing a number of support services which:
- encourage energy efficiency, renewable energy and other climate-friendly measures;
- explore synergies between businesses and local authorities in the area of climate action;
- increase private investments in clean energy Research & Innovation (R&I), technologies and solutions.
Have a question about your eligibility to join the Covenant? Get in touch with our Helpdesk.
Ready to get involved? Pledge your commitment now!